Some fresh produce and a few pantry staples are all you need for this delicious Vietnamese noodle soup.
The ingredient of Vietnamese soup with fish balls
- 500g snapper fillets, pin-boned, skinned
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 450g packet fresh rice noodles (see note)
- 2 spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths
- Thinly sliced long red chilli (optional), to serve
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 5 star anise
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) soy sauce
- 1L chicken stock
The instruction how to make Vietnamese soup with fish balls
- To make broth, heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger and spices, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make fish balls, process fish, garlic, ginger and egg in a food processor until combined. Transfer to a large bowl with mint. Season, then stir to combine. Roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into 20 balls.
- Carefully lower fish balls into broth. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 4 minutes. Add rice noodles and cook for a further 3 minutes or until fish balls and noodles are cooked.
- Divide soup among bowls. Scatter with spring onions and sliced chilli, if using, to serve.
Nutritions of Vietnamese soup with fish ballsfatContent: