The ingredient of Onion soup with gruyere croutons
- 25g reduced-fat dairy spread
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 medium (about 600g) brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1L (4 cups) Massel beef style liquid stock
- 8 x 1cm-thick slices baguette (French breadstick)
- 100g coarsely grated Swiss gruyere
- Freshly ground black pepper
The instruction how to make Onion soup with gruyere croutons
- Preheat grill to medium. Melt the dairy spread and oil in a large saucepan over high heat until foaming. Add the onion and sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until golden. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
- Meanwhile, place the bread on a baking tray. Cook under preheated grill, about 6cm from heat source, for 30 seconds or until golden. Turn and sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Cook under grill for a further 1 minute or until the cheese melts.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls or large mugs and top with gruyere croutons, cheese-side up. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Nutritions of Onion soup with gruyere croutonscalories: 290.863 calories
calories: 15 grams fat
calories: 6 grams saturated fat
calories: 23 grams carbohydrates
calories: 13 grams sugar
calories: 14 grams protein
calories: 22 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1122.87 milligrams sodium